The Mason City Fire Department has been providing fire suppression services since 1870. The first fire suppression equipment were hose carts drawn by hand. Horse drawn hose carts were brought into the station in 1895. By 1917, all of the Department's fire engines were motorized. Today's fire engines and aerial truck are specialized pieces of fire equipment that are not only essential for the fighting of fires, but also in assisting or providing emergency medical services along side the Department's six ambulances.
In 1932, the Fire Prevention Bureau was formed with the sole purpose of educating citizens and businesses in the City of Mason City on how to reduce or eliminate fire hazards. Today's Fire Prevention Bureau still has a large task of educating citizens (from age 1 to 100) on fire safety and prevention and doing fire safety inspections at all City business locations. However, Fire Marshal Mark Christiansen and fire fighters when they are assigned to the Fire Bureau are highly skilled individuals knowledgeable of the vast array of Fire Code rules and regulations and the specifications and needs provided by state-of-the-art sprinkler and automatic fire alarm systems within the City.