The Iowa Code identifies certain positions as civil service positions and the provisions of Section 400.6 govern these positions. By definition of the Section 400.6 of the Iowa Code, the following are NOT civil service positions in the City of Mason City:
- The Mayor, City Council, persons appointed to fill vacancies, elective officers, members of Boards and Commissions
- Clerk to the Civil Service Commission
- The City Clerk, Deputy City Clerk, City Attorney, City Engineer
- The City Administrator
- The head and principal assistant of each department
- The principal secretary to the City Administrator and the principal secretary to each of the department heads
- Employees of boards of trustees or commissions established pursuant to state law or city ordinances
- Employees whose positions are funded by state or federal grants or other temporary revenues
The Civil Service Commission of the City of Mason City governs appointments, promotions, transfers, dismissals, discipline, and other related conditions on the basis of merit as stipulated in the Code of Iowa, Chapter 400.
The Human Resources Department is responsible for the day-to-day administration of these responsibilities in fulfilling the Commission’s empowered duties.
Current commissioners are: Michael Svejda, Tom O'Neil, and Jackie Luecht