There are many ways private citizens can assist pets at the animal shelter without adopting them. Here are some ideas for folks that want to help but know their limits.
1. Transport pets to a vet or rescue group?
2. Donate old towels or blankets?
3. Donate money targeting a particular item?
4. Donate a crate?
5. Donate a Kong toy or a Nyla bone?
6. Donate food dishes or stainless steel bucket for a crate?
7. Donate a collar or leash?
8. Donate some treats?
9. Donate Halti or Gentle Leader?
10. Walk a dog?
11.Groom a pet? Pay for one to be groomed?
12. Donate some grooming supplies?
13. Donate parasite control?
14. Take photos of pets available for adoption?
15. Maintain web sites listing/showing pets available?
16. Lend your artistic talents for news letters, t-shirts, fund-raising ideas?
17. Donate cleaning supplies/equipment?
18. Donate cost of sending a dog to obedience classes?
19. Be the one to take the dog to obedience class!?
20. Go to local businesses and solicit donations?
21. Help new pet owners by answering training questions?
22. Put together an Owner's Manual for those who adopt rescued dogs and/or cats of your breed?
23. Pay for an ad in the local newspaper to help place a rescue?
24. Donate other services if you own a business?
25. Donate office supplies?
26. Volunteer to help care for any animals that we may have at Petco. Call for information
Stray Animal Shelter
2750 Birch Drive
Mason City, Iowa 50401
Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday: 10 a.m. - 5p.m.
Wednesday: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Saturday: 10a.m. - 4p.m. Closed Sunday, Monday, and Holidays. Messages should be left on the answering machine.